Sweet memories

Last week a friend of mine passed away. She was my best friend Erin's big sister. She felt like my big sister. She was the kind of person everyone loved because she loved everyone. I don't ever remember her getting angry or mad or acting like she was too busy for me or anyone else. She was the perfect example of a Godly wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend and stranger. She always had a smile on her face and made you feel like you were the most important person in the room.

Elliot was diagnosed with Stage 1 ovarian cancer back in September. Three weeks later it was Stage 4. She started chemo and saw numerous doctors. She smiled through the whole thing because she knew the whole time that God had His hands in all of it. For many months it looked like she was going to be just fine. She would have a few moments that looked tough, but would bounce back. Then about a month and a half ago things took a turn for the worse and never got better.

I've been trying to figure out how to even post about this because I can't just let it go. I can't not say anything about her. We may have lost touch over the years, but when we did see each other it was like we hadn't missed a day.

I remember spending the night with Erin and she would fall asleep before me so I would go into Elliot's room, climb in the bed with her and talk until it was way too late. I remember my brother passing away right before school started in 9th grade and she filled a void that I thought could never be filled (they had been in the same class since kindergarten). I remember finding out I had made the cheerleading squad (Erin did too) and running down the bleachers and jumping into Elliot's arms because we were so excited to get to cheer together the next year. I remember when she and her husband started dating. I remember going with her family to visit her at college. I remember her wedding day. I remember running into Erin and Elliot in Target randomly one day and finding out Elliot was going to have a baby. I remember going to her house for lunch when I was pregnant with my first child and seeing her for the first time as a wife and mom. I remember finding out she was going to have another baby, a little girl, and hoping she would be just as beautiful as her mommy. I remember seeing her at her nephew's birthday party, after she had started chemo,  being around her whole family for the first time in years and how happy everyone was and leaving with my own kids and breaking down because I missed all those great times we had growing up and knowing what could potentially happen to her. It was more than I could bear.

Elliot passed away a week ago today. I thought I had prepared myself for this kind of news. Things had been bad for a while. I'd suffered tragedy before. You still can't prepare for things like this. You can try, but it still hurts. I have cried off and on all week. On Thursday afternoon, Elliot's family had a Celebration Service for her. My mom and another best friend of mine went. We got there early. People were sitting in the choir loft and they had an overflow room for those who couldn't fit into the sanctuary. (The visitation the night before went on for 4 hours, and they still didn't get to visit with everyone that came, if that gives you any kind of hint as to how many lives she touched.) I held it together the best I could, but I want to just sob and not even care. I remember being her family and how children should never experience the pain of losing a loved one, whether a brother or a mommy. They had two of her best friend speak. Her dad spoke. I have no idea how he did it. Her pastor spoke.

I remember wishing that I could write all of everything that was said down so that I wouldn't forget it. But I couldn't think that clearly. But I found someone who did. And she did it beautifully. I asked for her permission to share it with you and she said sure. I beg you to read it. She also went to school with us. I did not know her nearly as well because we were in different grades, but knew of each other. Her blog will move you and challenge you. Here is her post about Elliot. She wrote several other posts about Elliot and I wish I could write like she does.

My two favorite things that were said about Elliot, by her friends that spoke were that Elliot was the perfect example of every one of the fruits of the Spirit. She most definitely was. My other favorite? Everyone needs to have an Elliot in their life. Yes they do.

Thank you Elliot for being exactly who God planned for you to be. Thank you for being my friend. I can't wait to see you again one day and to never have to say goodbye again!!

3 comments:

wow, what a testimony- I am all choked up

7:05 PM  

great post

9:16 PM  

Brittny - I am so sorry. I have read about her on Lauren's blog too and what a person of faith and a person of love she was. Though I obviously never knew her, I wish I had. I am so so sorry. And do not underestimate yourself! You are a great writer and your post was just as touching and beautiful

7:47 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Pre-made blog template © 2011 Danielle Moss // Graphic Design & Photography.