Living where we do we miss out on a lot of things that the rest of the country experiences. Don't get me wrong, we have loved living here, but we don't have things like leaves changing in the fall, snow on the ground or spring trees in bloom to let us know when the seasons have changed. It's all evergreen plants, so if you think you see some red/orange/brown leaves among a sea of green it's probably a dead tree. But I'm ok with that! (Not really, I've just learned to accept it.) Because though we also may not have true pumpkin patches to go to, we do have.... FARM DAY!!!!! I think we told about 30 families that they had to go to Farm Day this year and all of them came. It's that awesome!
What is Farm Day you ask? It is only the most fun you will have all year! It was started back in 1984 by a local doctor who has a farm and several of his friends from church. They had about 25 people get together the first time and it has grown to over 3300 people. They have everything you can think of to do on a farm from animals, horse rides, bbq, hot dogs, hay bales to climb on and corn to play in to bringing in a knife thrower, old cars, Home Depot workshop, cotton candy, funnel cakes, fire trucks and a helicopter lands in the front yard of the house. There is also a treasure hunt and when you get to the end they throw out more beads, candy and stuffed animals that you have ever seen, they ask if you want more and they throw just as much again. Once it gets dark they have fireworks and a bonfire. And it's all FREE. That's right! All you need to get in is to bring a covered side dish to share with everyone there. It is his church's way of showing the world that you can have fun as a Christian and hopefully show those you know who are not churched, how much God loves us.
You are probably thinking, stop talking and just show me pictures, so I'll do that.
And that's all we actually had photos of. Brandon waited in line for an hour to get a funnel cake so he missed the treasure hunt. We went home after that was over because the sun was going down and it was getting really cold by then. I hate that we only made it two of our three years here, but I think we made up for it this year.









Some thoughts-
1. Where are the photos of the covered dish dinner? Or supper as you call it? I am always interested in food.
2. I am a 32 year old woman coveting your daughter's hair.
3. I think it is hysterical that you rode the horse so you wouldn't walk in poop. That's why I love you.
4. Wow. Seabiscuit's great grand-horse must have royally messed up to go from a lineage of winning championships to walking in a circle for hours with small children on your back on Farm Day. Poor horse.
Lauren W said...
7:21 PM
What are you talking about? That stroller set up looks not only safe, but comfortable, too! And, easy to drive.
You are so funny.
And, I would be all over Farm Day. "Only the most fun you will have all year."
I love you. Not in a weird way, but I do.
starnes family said...
10:00 PM