My children have already decided what they want to be for Halloween this year. Christopher wants to be Batman and Sophie wants to be Spiderman. We bought her that Cinderella dress because she was starting to get into dress up clothes and thought it would be perfect for Disney, but she insists that she wants to be Spiderman for Halloween. Thankfully that is what Christopher was last year so she can just wear it instead of buying her a new one. Yes, it has the built in muscles, but she wants to be a male superhero so does it really matter? I think the blond curls and pink and white tennis shoes will keep anyone from being confused.
I've never had a problem with Halloween, but what I do have a problem with is spending so much money on a costume that will be worn once. If I'm going to spend $20-30 dollars on something I want to be able to wear it again. Especially if it's on the kids. (I don't buy smocked clothes for a reason people! Well, and my mom can make them so why would I?) Christopher told me that he wants to be a blue Batman and after much discussion over the color that Batman actually is (unless you go old school, he IS blue and gray) I realized that I could make this for much less than the $30 it will cost to buy it. Christopher does NOT want me to make it. He feels very strongly about this. So do I.
What would YOU do? I miss the days when you made up your own costume! That was so much more fun than just running out and buying one! In fact, I think I quit dressing up when people quit making them up. I'm torn and think that I may have to get Brandon to help me out here. Actually, wait. He will probably be on Christopher's side because he loves buying them costumes. He buys his own to match. Maybe that's what I'm afraid of. I'm just hoping and praying that having a sewing machine will pull everyone over to my side this year. Fingers crossed.....

I totally agree with you! But my girls aren't old enough to care yet. This year they are dressing up as flowers (colored shirt, tutu, flower headband)and Bradley's family will be doing flowers, butterflies and bees. We're going with them for Gracen's b'day. (lots of info) Good luck! Hope you win!!!
The Scott family said...
10:01 AM
I think that if you bought it, you could probably resell it on Craig's List for what it would cost you to make it? That might be a fair compromise? ;)
Wendi Kitsteiner said...
11:37 PM