Yesterday was Christopher's 5th birthday. F-I-V-E. I still can't believe he's that old and he just keeps getting taller and that's hard for a mommy to deal with. Even worse, he's starting kindergarten in the fall. I always thought I'd be happy to drop him off, but I think I'm going to be a basket case and it's only March. We are having his birthday party tomorrow, but I couldn't go without wishing him a happy birthday on here for all to see. We made him a pancake in the shape of a 5, stuck a candle in it, sang to him and let him open a present. We wanted to spread them out so they could have time to enjoy each one. He got a new Wii game from Brandon's parents and I think we are going to be playing it a LOT in the future!!! It is lots of fun and the kids can play the games without any problem.
Then we got dressed and headed to school. I dropped Christopher off (with his big "I'm 5 today" sticker in the middle of his shirt) and Sophie and I ran to Walmart to get popsicles for the birthday boy's class and I let her pick out something for her brother. (I'm last minute people!) Then took her to school. I ran home and finished making a cape for our friend Jake's party today. I've finally figured out how to make this and not look cheap. I'm kind of proud of it. Because everything I've made so far looks very beginner and I feel like this looks a little bit like I know what I'm doing. (If you are a great sewer then you will never see my stuff because you will notice the flaws.) Did some more "mom stuff" around the house and then headed back to get the kids.
Christopher couldn't wait to get home and open Sophie's present. He asked me on the way home, "Is it wrapped in that pretend wood stuff that you cut open?" Huh?? I thought about that for a minute and asked, "You mean a cardboard box?" Yup. That's pretend wood people. Cuteness!!! Sophie had forgotten what she picked out, so we didn't have any spoilers and he was very excited about his new lincoln logs. We played for a minute then got a phone call from our best friends, Tiffany and William. We miss them terribly and can't wait for them to visit this June when they come for Brandon's graduation. Then it was time to go to taekwondo. When we got home, Daddy was outside raking pine straw and Christopher couldn't wait to open his present from us. We made him wait until the end of the day because I knew that we would never get him out of the house all day if he got it in the morning. He has been asking for a "construction" train sense Christmas, but this was after he mentioned he wanted the garbage truck we bought him. So, he got it for his birthday. We still love trucks, but we are obsessed with trains right now. He was so excited!!!
I'd been asking him all week what he wanted for supper on his birthday and he kept changing his mind. I was running out of time and getting worried about what he'd ask for, especially since it was 4:30 and I still had no answer. He decided on chicken nuggets and mac and cheese. DONE! We didn't have a cake because his party is tomorrow and we don't need two in the house, along with the cookies I made this week. We love you so much Christopher and are so proud of the little boy you have become!!!!
Now, onto the shocking news. Brandon got a phone call on Monday from the Air Force and it wasn't a good one. We found out that we are not staying in Florida after all. And the list we made back in November was thrown out the window too. He will be going on a remote tour to Korea for a year. Alone. This came totally and completely out of left field. From several fields over. We. Never. Saw. It. Coming. EVER. We'd been told, "Chief residents always get something on the top of their list." And "You are 95% guaranteed to be staying here in FL as faculty." And "If anyone gets pulled for a non-voluntary slot, it will be people underneath you." Left field people. Left field.
Before anyone says anything I want you to know we are fine. Yes, we are shocked and yes, I've been spending the better part of the week taking care of getting the kids enrolled in school somewhere besides here, but overall we are fine. And don't say, "Well, you are in the military so it can't surprise you." To that I say, yes it can and don't ever tell me your name because I will find you and it won't be pretty. We know we are in the military, but that doesn't take away the element of surprise. How else do you think they attack people, by sending letters first? We will be asking that you pray for us. There is a slight chance we could swap with someone. There is also a chance that we could be pulled again and end up somewhere else. You don't know where you will end up until you get there and the key is in the door. (A friend told me that and I believe it!)
Now, one of the possible perks is that we can put in a request to follow up somewhere awesome. Like Europe. Again, no guarantees we will get our top pick, but they do pay better attention to you because they are making you go where nobody wants to go for a whole year without your family. So, we shall see. Our families are sad, but excited because the kids and I will be moving back to Montgomery to be with them. I'm looking forward to the kids getting to spend TONS of time with grandparents and cousins and our best friends, the Khans, who are practically family. We have not told the kids what is going on yet and will not tell them until we have orders in hand. I've started talking to wives who have been through this and I'm taking notes and getting advice. I think we will be good and God is watching over us and we can only come out stronger on the other side. We wanted an adventure and that's what we are getting!! So, there's our latest news! It might change, but it might not.
I'll keep you posted. : )

Brittny - praying for you and your family. Sometimes the 'not knowing' is the most difficult, but God has a perfect plan and is in complete control! Happy Birthday to Christopher!
Susan said...
10:41 AM
Wow Brittny. I will definetly keep yall in our prayers. You are such a positive person-what a blessing! And Happy Bday Christopher!
Margaret said...
11:47 AM
Brittny, I will definitely be praying for you and your family. I know that all the uncertainty is hard, but Praise the Lord you know the God that holds all our tomorrows! So glad that if this is indeed the course, that you can be near your family and good friends! You are an encouragement as you are looking at this "glass half full" and seeing the adventure. I hope that I do the same!
Amber said...
11:51 AM
WOW Brittny. I am sure your emotions are running in all different directions with the impending move. I am sure you are anxious and excited at the same time. I will be checking your blog for updates as they unfold. God has already paved the way - although unclear right now. It will all make sense one day, just keep walking and trusting in His perfect plan for your family.
So I have to ask, when will you and kids be moving to Mtgy?? Maybe I will actually get to meet your sweet kids finally!! Would love to see you and catch up from the many years we have missed.
Erin said...
1:23 PM
Praying for you, Brittny. Wish I was still in Montgomery so we could let the merriment continue.
Lauren W said...
10:12 PM
Proud of you, sweet friend. This is big news. I certainly wasn't expecting it. But, as with every huge, unfathomable curve ball we've been thrown, we've come out on top. I know you will, too.
starnes family said...
10:59 PM