Yesterday morning Brandon ran his first half marathon in Seaside, FL. His best friend Burt signed them up for it about 9 weeks ago. Brandon and I don't run. I tried several months ago, but it never stuck. I wish it had. Brandon had to when Burt called him and told him what he'd done. Can you imagine 9 weeks to train to run 13.1 miles? But they did it and I could not be more proud of them. (We wish that Melissa and the boys could have come too, but they weren't able to make it.)
The weather was supposed to be sunny and in the upper 50s to low 60s. Not so much. It started pouring Saturday night and I knew that wasn't going to be good. When we woke up it was in the 30s, overcast and windy. I grabbed extra coats and blankets and loaded myself and the kids up, turned on a movie and hit to road. We found a parking spot, rode the shuttle to Seaside and the first thing I saw when I got off the bus was a bearded man in a hot pink floral bikini running by. Runners are crazy people, ya'll.
(Christopher and Sophie were really good on the drive there and did great getting to and from the shuttle. I was so proud of them!)
We found our spot at the finish line and waited. There were 3000 people running so I had no idea when they were going to finish. The kids were great and stood there looking for Daddy and Uncle Burt and only asked about 6 times when they were going to get there. They finished in just a hair over 2 hours. And they didn't look too bad either! Some people looked like they were going to lose their lunch while one lady looked like she was about to go play tennis and didn't just run a half marathon she was smiling so much. I think I would have been found on the ground about a third of the way into it.
(Brandon finishing on the far left. Burt is behind the guy in the white shirt. I didn't realize until this morning that I know the guy in the white shirt. He goes to our church.)
(Brandon and Burt still trying to catch their breath. I think Brandon is used to doing the #1 thing from playing sports because I don't think he realizes he still does this.)
(Jim N' Nicks was there and Sophie was in love with this pig. We had to see it three times. I wish that she would let me fix her hair, it drives me crazy that it's in her face all the time.)
(Burt still had enough energy to chase the kids around. See that cute bag in the stroller? That's what Melissa and I got for the guys running. Nice, huh? It was sponsored by Vera Bradley.)
Some of our dear friends, and former neighbors, from Huntsville happened to be in town on vacation so they came over to hang out with us. We loaded up and went to get lunch at PF Changs and then came home. I think Brandon and Burt were surprised at how little they hurt, but I'm pretty sure it was because the high hadn't worn off yet. You've got to feel something after doing that to your body, right? Regardless, I am very proud of them!!!!! Way to go guys!!!!
Awesome! Way to go Daddy Hemphill.
Super cute bag, too.
starnes family said...
11:39 AM
JB did this race last year. I got a great Vera bag too. But I didn't go when, like you, the weather went from bad to worse overnight. It was miserable that day just like your day. Crazy! Elijah was only about 2 months old so I skipped going and was sad to miss it!
Wendi Kitsteiner said...
12:59 PM
Thanks for writing about this and posting pictures. Love their matching outfits. Burt really had a good time. Hopefully they will keep it up and find another one to run giving Brandon more time to train. We were sad to miss it too, but so thankful you were there to cheer them on. Love you guys!
The Khans said...
3:57 PM