The first thing I wanted to try to make with all my strawberries was this homemade fruit roll up recipe I found on Darby's blog. Her stuff always look so amazing and I have to admit, a little (ok a lot) out of my league, but I really wanted to make these. I loved the ones you could buy at the store as a kid and could eat a whole box in no time flat. I knew that it wasn't good for me, but oh so delicious!
She suggests making them at night since she puts them in the oven for 8-10 hours and that was my original plan, but around noon today I found myself with time to spare and thought I'd go ahead and get started. I am SO glad that I did! I already had the berries cut up and ready to go so I started blending them with the rest of the ingredients and put them in the pot to start cooking. The recipe says to bring to a boil, then let it simmer and stir frequently for 30-45 minutes, then continue doing this until it's the right consistency. Me, being the person I am, thought it might take me an hour to do this. I was WAY off! At 5:30 I was finally able to spread it on the cookie sheet and stick it in the oven. That's right, five hours later it was ready. Now I just have to set my alarm to wake up at 2:30 a.m. to turn the oven off. But I'd much rather do that then have to stay up until 2 stirring the pot. Wouldn't you?
I'm sure a lot of it has to do with our supplies we have to work with (and the fact she's much better at these things than I am, ok, much more experienced--I'm not stupid), but I'm really hoping that this isn't a flop. I just wanted to post this in case any of you have made this before, or want to try it yourself and let you know it could possibly take longer than you plan. Please let me know how your experiences with making homemade yummy treats like this has gone in the past. I'm very curious to hear about them!

I hope they are a hit Brittny! I can never go by the time a recipe says.
Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, Julianne, and Cole said...
10:21 PM
The strawberries look delicious and the pictures are just as pretty as they taste, I'm sure!
Wait. Did that make sense?
Either way, I commend your efforts on pulling a Suzy Homemaker here with the treats. Kudos!
starnes family said...
11:01 PM
i wanna hear how they turned out!!! i've thought about making those too! but am not quite the chef like she is!
Ole Miss Mom said...
7:26 AM
What in the world? They come in a box for $2.99. Are you insane?
Lauren W said...
10:48 AM
I made them before we went to Italy so we could have a healthy snack during that week. I also started during the afternoon (thankfully) and they were just coming out of the oven around 10 am! I set my alarm to check them around 2 and they were far from done so I turned the oven off b/c I couldn't bear the thought of setting the alarm again, and turned it back on in the am. They were good though!
The Scott family said...
2:54 PM