This is Sophie on Monday ready for school. Grammie made this adorable outfit for her last year, but it was too big. (Pillow case top and capri pants.) LOVE it on her!!! She wanted to wear her flip flops and sunglasses. She kept them on until she got in her classroom. Her teachers loved it!

The kids and I had an Easter egg hunt the other night (not just for once a year guys!) and when we were done Christopher decided to add a bunch more to the tree. When he finished he told me to come look and shouted, "Happy Christmas, Mommy!!!" He was SO proud of himself and it was pretty cute, I must say.

One of the first ideas that popped into my head when I started thinking about getting a sewing machine was a cape for the kids. I've seen photos of other kids wearing them and figured it looked easy enough that I could do the same. I googled patterns just to see what was out there and decided the one in my head was the best way to go. (Some of you--in the www, not anyone I know--make it way too hard on yourselves! Curves, reversible, seriously?)
My nephews were in the process of giving up their pacifiers and it's been hard on them. And their mommy. I remember going through this awful time with my son and thought I'd try to help them maybe forget about it for a little while and congratulate them on being such big boys. The first one took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I didn't have a pattern and if I did it probably would have taken 3 times as long. I think I'm going to have to be a no-pattern sewer. They seem too complicated. I'm much better at copying or following my head than oddly worded directions. Enough blabbering, here's the end result:

Sophie wanted to model it.

So did Uncle "B."

The Super Nephews - Drake and Hunter
In case you are wondering, I used bias tape (sewed edges together) for the ribbon and stitch witchery to iron the bolt and letter onto the back. It didn't stick like I'd hoped and was hard to keep together once I cut it out, so I ended up having to stitch around the edges. I went and bought some HeatnBond to use on the next one. Saw someone use it and it looks more like what I wanted. (You can iron it onto your fabric, then cut it out, then iron it onto the cape.)
You go, Aunt Brittny! That is such a great idea.
Lauren W said...
7:39 PM