Yesterday we got home from MOPS and I let Brick out front while we unloaded the van. I noticed something funny on his face and took over to see Wendi across the street. She told me it was a tick. AAAGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Brandon is gone all week. Pretty much every man I know that lives around here is gone all week and I have no clue how to remove a tick. I know you have to be really careful to get all of it, but since I'd never done it before, I wouldn't know if I had. I was also afraid that if he had one, he probably had more.
I think God knew that I was worried about this, so He took care of it. I found something on the floor a little while later that looked like the tick on his face. It was!!! Nasty, nasty, nasty, nasty!!! I got rid of it. I have no idea how it ended up on the floor, but I was a little bit glad it did b/c it meant that it just fell off. I checked Brick and that same tick was still there. But I was right, there ARE more than one. A little while later I found another one on the floor and there is no tick on his face. I was so grossed out I put Sophie bed, check her blanket for any unusual spots, and then vacuumed. I had no idea if it would even help, but it made me feel better.
Last night as the kids and I were getting ready for bed I found another one on the floor!! Geez! I got rid of it too. Have I mentioned I can't stand bugs? I like to think I'm not high maintenance, but this is one area where I'm the one on the table yelling, "HELP HELP!" But you do what you have to do. Smashing a tick is not on any form of a list of things to do, but if that's what it takes to make sure nobody else gets it, I'll do it. I hope that we don't have any more showing up around here, but at least they are easy to find.
Oh, and my friend Tiffany said that oil can help remove them. It suffocates them and they fall off. Brandon gave Brick a bath before he left on Monday afternoon and the shampoo must have done the trick! Here's to hoping no more ticks!!

My brother has a PHD in Entomology (I know. Weird.). If you need any bug related advice, I can help. Just one of the many perks of befriending me. :)
starnes family said...
8:27 AM
hahaha!!!! thanks casey!
Brittny said...
9:30 AM
No fun but they are easy to get rid of. Sounds crazy but light a match, blow it out and use the tip while it is still hot and burn it off. It kills the legs/mouth that are in the skin. You don't put the hot match on the back of the tick but as close to the skin as possible so that you can detach it. Sounds like the shampoo works but is he on a monthly flea/tick treatment? I hope you don't find any more!
The Howell's said...
9:54 AM
yes, he is, but we ran out and haven't gotten more. he's about 2 weeks behind on taking it. a friend is going to pick some up for me when she goes to the base vet. you can't take kids there so she's going to help me out!
Brittny said...
4:36 PM