It's been a long hard week here at the Hemphill household. Brandon was on call last Sunday so, he was home all day Monday. To be honest, I don't even remember what happened that day b/c it feels like 3 weeks ago! I think I ended up waking him so we could go grocery shopping, but he told me he wanted to go and I couldn't start dinner until we got back. (For those of you who don't know me very well, when I have it in my mind that something needs to be done, it has to be done right now. Not in 5 minutes, 3 hours or 2 days, NOW!) So I felt bad about waking him, but we desperately needed to go. This can be a good and bad thing, taking your husband grocery shopping, b/c you know where everything is, he doesn't as well. You have a system for attacking the store, his isn't as planned out. So when he asks what he can do to help all I want to say is, take the kids and I'll see you in 30 minutes. BUT we are there together, so I look at my list and give him 3 items that are in the cold section (thinking it's easy enough for both of us) and off he goes with a kid in tow. We get home, have dinner and honestly, the rest of the week is a complete blur. I don't even know how I remember that day! Maybe b/c it's the last time I feel like I saw my husband. Here is how the rest of the week went:
Tuesday - MOPS in the morning. Sophie falls asleep on the way home. I feed Christopher then put him down for a nap. I shut his door, Sophie wakes up. I play with Sophie, put her down for nap #2, then Christopher wakes up.
Wednesday - We run to Target in the morning. Sophie falls asleep on the way home. I feed Christopher then put him down for a nap. I shut his door, Sophie wakes up. I play with Sophie, put her down for nap #2, then Christopher wakes up. (Are you picking up on the pattern yet?)
Thursday - Christopher and I have a dentist appointment that morning. Sophie falls asleep on the way home. I feed Christopher then put him down for a nap. I shut his door, Sophie wakes up. I play with Sophie, put her down for nap #2, then Christopher wakes up. Sophie wakes up just in time for us to rush to the post office to mail birthday gifts.
Friday - Christopher has Mother's Day Out. Sophie falls asleep on the way home. She naps, I'm terribly upset to see that Ugly Betty didn't come on the night before. Now I have nothing to watch while I fold clothes.
The best part of the week was that Brandon and I got to go on a date Friday night. Our "new" best friends (we make new ones every 2 years when we have to move) here have kids that get along extremely well with our kids. We try to find a weekend once a month to have "date weekend" and take turns watching the kids so the other couple can go out to dinner. We got the first night and I thought we should go to Panera to have dinner and search online for where we'd like to go for our 5 year anniversary this summer. (We thought we'd like a cruise, but decided to use our season passes to Disney instead and go without the kids!) It was the most perfect night!!! Brandon and I were able to sit and talk about so much! I forgot just how much I really loved him and it made me miss him even more for being gone so much lately.
Saturday - Brandon is off to a yard sale he's working. (Raising money for medical trip to Peru in a few weeks.) The kids actually sleep until 7 and 7:45 (NEVER happens!!!). We have breakfast and then head over to yard sale. We stay longer than I thought we would and so we have to stop and get lunch on the way home. Christopher is screaming (can't catch his breathe crying, which he never does... just shows how tired he is) all the way to Chick-fil-A b/c he wants his Daddy and the only thing that makes him stop is telling him he can have his very own lunch and there might be a Franklin book inside. We get home, (not without another meltdown) the kids crash into bed and I take my first shower in 3 days. I'm not lying. I hasn't washed anything but my face in 3 days! I actually let the hot water run out. I'm exhausted and fall asleep in the bed with wet hair. I wake up at 4:00 and thank the Lord that my husband has picked up and been playing with the kids. I haven't seen the floor in our house in days. (mostly b/c of the tunnel that keeps getting pulled out, the only way I could get ready in the morning) The Newells drop their kids off at 5:45 and we play and have a blast until 7:45 when Chrisotpher has his 3rd meltdown of the day and we just put both of our kids to bed and play with the 2 still awake that aren't even ours. (But we'd claim them any day!)
Finally, Sunday - Brandon is on call (again!) and I'm am taking the kids to church even if we have to wear pajamas. I'm desperate for a break and some time with God. I drop Sophie off, she's crying and I just Chrisotpher to run b/c I know she'll stop any minute. I drop Christopher off and he could care less b/c he's found a box full of cars to play with. Church was just the break I needed and (here we go again...) Sophie falls asleep on the way home. Christopher plays in the back yard, I finally get to try my Christmas gift, Bissell Little Green cleaner, and then he comes in b/c he's tired and hungry. He can't decide whether to eat or sleep and thankfully our neighbors, and dear friends, the Ramages come walking up. William and Christopher take off playing. I have some adult convo with Matt and Tiffany and Sophie wakes up. After they leave (another meltdown by Christopher b/c he hit Tiffany in the face with a plastic sword and wouldn't apologize - I'm still embarrassed!!) I feed the kids, put Christopher down, play with Sophie and then she acts tired so I put her down again. I can't believe it. I'M ALONE!!!!! I watched Monk, Psych and started Wii Fit and then they woke up. I didn't care. We played on it together before heading up to see Brandon.
If you think that was a long one, just imagine how I feel. I do find peace in knowing that God never gives us more than we can handle, but like that saying goes, I wish He didn't think I could handle so much! As I look back I realize no matter how frustrated, exhausted, angry, mad, whatever I get, I am truly thankful for 2 very healthy children and a wonderful husband who loves us more than I even realize. I told Brandon at dinner the other night I wonder what our lives would be like if we didn't have kids yet, to which I immediately said, "Boring." He laughed and started naming all the things we could be doing, but we both know we wouldn't do any of those things. I told him I had no regrets and wouldn't change a thing. I AM exhausted and headed to bed to disappear into another book, but I want to end by saying, I love my life!

Wow, that makes me tired. At least I was able to shower everyday between our chaos. Sorry the weak was so hectic, but glad you had a wonderful evening with Brandon. That's the best isn't it. Burt and I are going to try to make that more of a priority once a month. Free babysitters make it easier that's for sure.
The Khans said...
9:49 PM