This weekend we celebrated Sophie's 1st birthday. Grammie and Pop and the Khans (stayed with friends) were able to come down from Alabama to join us and it was so fun to have them around. I thought a few months ago it would be funny to have a "snow themed" party since we are living in Florida now. It's January and what else do you think of other than cold weather? (I also had some inspiration from a kids party book my father-in-law had given me.) I went to the Dollar Tree before Christmas and bought snowflakes to stick on the windows and foam ones to hang from the ceiling. I had these huge ideas of how to decorate the house, the cake, the goodie bags, games we could play, but I knew I was crazy for trying to tackle that for a child who won't even realize there is a party going on. So I simplified. We had a small party around lunch time on Saturday (still used the snow decorations I'd bought) and I didn't realize until the week of the party that all the little kids that were coming were boys. But that's what Sophie is used to being around, so it was quite fitting. Since I made Christopher's first birthday cake, I thought I'd do the same for Sophie. We made pizzas for lunch, had birthday cake (I forgot to serve the ice cream) and then opened presents. Christopher was really tired so he actually asked to go take his nap and crashed on our bed during lunch and missed most of the party! Sophie had so much fun eating cake and did a great job opening presents. She got some wonderful gifts, including clothes (for herself and one of her babydolls), books, a toy purse, new chair (used to help climb over the couch earlier in the week!) and get this.... nail polish!!! (Thanks Aunt Jenny and Uncle Trey!) We had a wonderful time with everyone and thank you to all who remembered her special day and called, emailed or sent cards. I'm working on getting other photos, ours didn't turn out as well. I'll post them as soon as I can get them.Sophie's cakes were chocolate on the left and a yellow "smash" cake on the right. They were boxed cakes, but they were delicious, the icing was homemade. I'm not an icing girl, but this stuff was amazing! If you want a simple and yummy white icing recipe, let me know. I have always wanted to learn how to decorate cakes, so this was my first attempt at it. It was so easy! Of course I did probably the easiest decoration known to man, so there's nothing to brag about!
William copying his daddy. Isn't he adorable? We love having him around to play with.

ooo, I'd love the icing recipes...we have 2 birthdays coming up soon! :-)
Ole Miss Mom said...
11:47 AM
she's such a cutie, but she's going to have to slim up some if she's going to be a ballerina! :) I wish we could have been there.
The Howell's said...
1:42 PM
stumbled upon your blog....
i would love to know what pan you used (size, type, where you got it) for the smash cake...for my son's 1st, i am doing 'cupcakes' and a smash cake....but my cake pans are too large for the smaller cake and would love to know what you used!!
thanks!!
Ashley, Kyle, and Baby Boy said...
6:13 PM