Shopping on a budget

This year we knew we had to do something about our finances, as everyone else in the world is too, and we knew we couldn't trust ourselves to just write it down and follow it. We need very strict rules. So, we decided we'd try the envelope system. For some this may not work b/c spending cash is much easier than not, but for us we hate to see it go. So far we have done really well. I spent about $65 at the grocery store the first week and $75 the second. Now, I'd already stocked up on meat, which is always my down fall when it comes to grocery shopping. That and not planning meals well enough. I was completely surprised at how well I was doing. This has been very hard for me b/c groceries are the one place I can't say no. I don't go in without a list, but I do tend to buy something b/c it looks good, which is never on my list, and that's where I fail. This time I stuck to the list. Unless it was on super sale (like the premarinated steaks I got for $.99 a lb.!). Today was hard though. I went to Target. (dun, dun, duuuuunnnnn!!!!!) Like most women, this is a source of weakness for me. I could spend hours and hundreds of dollars in there if ever given the time and money. And I could do that every week! When we lived in Huntsville there was a Super Target 10 minutes from my house and I would go twice a week, sometimes just to walk around. But now that we live in FL I have to drive at least 25-30 minutes away to get to one. You would think this would help our budget, but no. I just buy more thinking I won't get out here for another month. But this time I was going only to buy a few things, what was on my list. Let's just say I failed. But in my defense, I am about to show you why I did and what I got. Now, Sophie's birthday is next week and we are having a small party, so I needed a few party favors. Thanks to the dollar section I got these items there. (Not bad, it's the dollar section after all.) Then I go past the clothing, I knew this was dangerous, but I just couldn't resist. I did grab one of those pretty, light weight scarves that you see people wearing, and I don't feel guilty about that. I have a budget set for clothing and I hadn't spent one dime yet, and this was only $13. Then I grab another tank b/c I loved the first one I got, but I'm going to take it back. I don't need two, even though I want two. I went to get the diapers and of course, the sale was for the small packs. Now honestly, who need a bag of only 30 diapers? That's a week's worth! So I bought the store brand box with 92 in it. Next I go to the kids clothing section to hit up the sale section and this was where I got excited. I found a tutu (really it's a skirt and a 3T, but whatever!she'll grow into it!), a sweater and a coat for Sophie, all to wear next year. Now this is why I'm excited, the tutu was $2.50, the sweater was $2.25 and the velvet coat was $6.25!!!!


I dug and dug and dug for more goodies, but didn't find anything I liked. Christopher kept trying to help and was grabbing bathing suits and pj's saying they would be cute for Sophie or that he needed them, but I kept putting them back. I also grabbed a b'day gift for my sis-in-law and b'day cards for family (everyone on both sides, except 2 people ,were born between October and March, it's crazy!) and a pan for making quiche (so I don't have to keep buying frozen crust, you know the whole spend money to save money thing), some face wash and makeup remover. It was a lot for me, considering my shopping trips have been small lately, but it's been done. It hurt handing over that cash, but we survived and then went to Chick-a-Flay (as Christopher calls it) for lunch. It was a good day, but this budget stuff is hard. I'm trying and it can actually be fun, but let's be honest, we all know it would be fun to have an endless supply of money and never have to worry about making payments, wouldn't it? Or would it?????

3 comments:

You rock. I am about to start the envelope system as well so we will have to encourage each other. Great finds at Target by the way. Do you remember when the one opened up in Montgomery and we were all so ridiculously excited?

8:57 AM  

hahaha!!! yes, and remember how all brandon could talk about were the low ceilings???? that still cracks me up!

10:47 AM  

How on earth do you buy groceries for a week with $65-75? Please help a sister out! I would love to do that!!! Cute finds at Target by the way!

1:21 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Pre-made blog template © 2011 Danielle Moss // Graphic Design & Photography.