Here's the icing recipe I used. It's from the Williams-Sonoma kids parties book. If you are icing a chocolate cake I'd recommend doing 1 1/2 the recipe. I had to do a second layer on the bigger cake b/c flecks of chocolate came up with the icing while spreading it. It looked pretty like that, but if you want it to be "fleck-free" you'll have to do a second coat. It is so smooth it doesn't take any time to spread it around. Unless you are eating it! I'm telling you, this is the best icing you will ever make!!!
Vanilla Frosting:
3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
3 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 Tbl. heavy (double) cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
In a bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed, beat together the butter, sugar, cream, vanilla and salt until creamy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Use frosting right away.
To color the frosting, proceed as directed, then beat in food coloring, a drop at a time, until the desired color is achieved.
For lemon frosting, proceed as directed, but reduce the vanilla to 1 tsp. and stir in 1 tsp. lemon extract and 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest.
Enjoy!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment