Yes, that's true at our house. We gave up the pacifier like I said on Wednesday and it has been a nightmare since then!!!! The days that followed he has been kicking and screaming, refusing to take a nap in the afternoon. The only way I can get his to fall asleep is to make him lay on the couch with me and watch Mommy's show. He falls asleep within a few minutes, but wakes a little as I put him in his bed. He'll sleep for a least 2 hours or more so he's obviously tired. Now at night is even worse. He gone to bed at 9:00, then 10:00, then midnight, then 10:00 again. The last two days he never napped AT ALL. I know that giving up the pacifier was going to cause something like this, but I underestimated just how attached to it he really was. It was his ultimate comforter. It's so hard b/c the time changed this week and we had company coming in town for his b'day party and he's excited and has his friends and family around and lots of new toys and who would want to go to sleep? But seriously, he's got to crash eventually... right?? So, please, please pray for us. I really don't want him to give up his naps now. He's not ready for that and neither am I. As soon as we get past this I'm getting rid of Sophie's. We are not waiting this long ever again. I never wanted to in the beginning, but I definitely suggest that if your child has an attachment, start cutting back now and don't wait 3 years to cut it off. Trust me!!! If you do have encouraging tips, please pass them on!!! I'm desperate for help here.

Girl, I feel your pain. We are about to give up the "swaddle blanket" and I am seriously dreading it. He is only 4 months old and only takes 30 minute naps at a time as it is (with his swaddle). It's killing me and what's worse, is that I know he is really so tired. I fear once the swaddle is gone, he won't nap at all. I will definitely try to give up the pacifier before he is 3 years old!!! I wish I had some encouragement for you. All I can say is that it has to eventually get better right?? I mean, our kids will have to sleep eventually???? I sure pray so.
Erin said...
4:42 PM
Wow! Can't say this post made me feel too great - Keenan just turned 2, and we are soon going to embark on the "Goodbye Paci" adventure ourselves! =0/ Aaaaah!
Joia said...
8:39 AM
Did he take a nap yesterday???
The Khans said...
10:03 AM
Yes, he napped yesterday. Fell asleep on the couch with me and I waited longer this time to move him and then he slept in his bed for almost 2 hours. Went down with no problem last night. Guess he just needed his bed. Who knows though!
Brittny said...
10:05 AM
I am glad he slept better yesterday, but sad he had so much trouble because he didn't have his own bed, if that is indeed the reason. Guess I will write later in the week to see how he is doing. We had a great time this weekend.
The Khans said...
2:25 PM