That's me. I apologize for my little rant yesterday. I found out that afternoon why I was feeling so "moody." It explained a lot! Once the kids and I had our naps we were all happier people. Last night was an adventure that I hope to not experience again. We took Brick for a walk and had borrowed a shock collar from a friend. He's done amazingly well on a leash and, like any dog would, he starts to pull when he sees a squirrel or a bird, but never bolts. He likes to creep. He's smart, he doesn't want to frighten them away, he wants to kill them with no warning. No, he hasn't killed anything on our watch, but that's not to say it will never happen in his life. (Focus, focus...) Ok, so we get back from our walk, which was very short b/c you could cut the humidity with a knife and I decided to try the shock collar out on his love to run away. He stayed around for a minute or two, then must have realized he was free and bolted. I took off running. In flip flops. Rubber, cheap, flip flops. With both kids still standing in the driveway. Alone. I don't think I've run that fast since field day in grade school. He typically runs around the three houses closest to us, but yesterday decided to try the house down and across the street. The one with the water behind it. He found our friend Sarah's house and her little dog. They chased each other along the fence. Then he found the water. The one with the tall grass surrounding it so that you can't just get in unless you are a dog. He did a little swimming along the shore, but since I couldn't see him, don't know if he was just walking in the water or submerged in it. (Wendi, if he's ruined your collar we will buy you a new one!) I couldn't reach him and he knew it. He always comes home fairly soon after escaping, so I decided I better run back and check on the kids. I heard Christopher yelling for me, in a "where-did-you-go" kind of way, and thankfully they decided to walk through the backyards to follow me instead of along the sidewalk. I told him to stay there and watch Sophie while I ran back to get the leash. Did I mention that thanks to having children I'm now peeing in my pants a little? Yup. Chasing a dog, losing a flip flop and wetting my pants. Good thing I'm already married b/c nobody would want that! I grab the leash, run back towards the chaos to find Brick all wet and playing with the kids right where I left them. The owner of the house is out with his kids and I just went ahead and introduced myself. Thankfully I knew his wife (he's back from deployment) and she could tell him the crazy lady he met wasn't as crazy as he'd described. I hope. I drag the dog and Sophie, b/c she didn't want to go home either, back to the house and we all take a shower. Well, Brick didn't.
Now, I'm not sure who had it rougher, me or Brandon. He got home about 11:45 last night and I assume ate cereal while watching a little tv (saw the tray and spoon on the counter and pillows on the floor) to unwind and then came to bed after midnight. His pager went off at 3:30 and it was a patient of his that had gone into labor. (They have to deliver a certain number of babies before graduating from residency.) He'd been asleep about 2 hours at this point. He got dressed, left the house and didn't get back until after 8:00 this morning. He said things went really well and fast and everyone did fine, so at least he had that going for him. Glad that prayer I said for them worked. He called Pensacola and didn't have to come in today.
On a side note, I've been wanting to get a new bag (purse sounds old) b/c I don't have to carry loads of diapers and sippy cups and snacks with me everywhere and showed the one I liked to Brandon the other morning. It's a hipster style and yes, I know, you don't see them in fashion magazines or on the red carpet, but I've never been that fashionable anyway. This is how the conversation went:
Me: "I really like this purse."
Brandon: "Don't you have one like that?"
Me: "No." (I really don't. I'd use it if I did!)
Brandon: "Are you sure?"
Me: "Yes. I don't have one like this." (I have 2 purses to my name and I bought one of them when I was pregnant with Sophie.)
Brandon: "Yes you do, it's hanging up."
Me: "You mean the diaper bag hanging on the back door?"
Brandon: "Yeah, that one."
Me: "It's a diaper bag."
Brandon: "So. What's wrong with that?"
The conversation ended and I remembered why I don't share girly thoughts or ideas with my husband. That's what your girlfriends are for.

0 comments:
Post a Comment