Cold, cable and a good book

Last night Brandon told me that they had to shut down the operating rooms at Eglin due to the cold weather. It's so cold there is no humidity. (Can you imagine, a South without humidity?) But this is actually bad. Or maybe inconvenient. The humidifiers for the OR won't work due to the lack of humidity from the cold so there's a chance of sparks literally flying. Labor and delivery can't deliver any babies now because if they have to go to c-section, it's too dangerous. Those poor women have to pick a different hospital and be delivered by Dr. Stranger because it is too cold in Florida.

On a totally and completely different note, I decided to try a little experiment this morning. When Christopher crawled into bed with me this morning we turned on the weather to see what today was going to be like. It's 23 with a wind chill of 15. Brrrrrrrr....!!!!!!!! I told him that tonight we should set out a cup of water to see if it freezes from the cold. He didn't want to do that. He wanted to set out Brick's water bowl. (We'll have to have a talk about that later.) Then when I went into the kitchen I realized. It's probably cold enough for it to freeze now. So we set a cup outside the door and we are going to check on it every 30 minutes to see how long it takes, if it takes, for it to freeze.

Finally, we are saying goodbye to a "friend" today. Cable. I know, I know, you think we are crazy, but it only seems to my our lives more frustrating and we fight more because we can't hear or see what is on. The last few weeks I've been watching less of it and reading more and I feel much happier. The kids only watch it because we turn it on and are content playing anyway. We got a new tv for Christmas, but we are playing Wii a lot more now and it's fun because the kids are finally old enough to play with us... sort of! We are also going to start having game night on Wednesdays and pizza/movie night on Fridays. Don't worry, we joined Netflix, but I see Brandon using it more than me. Did I mention I've been reading? Karen Kingsbury is my new BFF. I read my first book in a week and last night finished my second book in only four days. It's not a race, it's just that good!!!! If you are looking for a great Christian author, I highly suggest picking up one of her books. You won't be able to stop!

(I know I change my background constantly, but when I saw this warm brown it made me feel like I was by a fire with a warm brown blanket over me and my next Karen K. book in my hand.)

8 comments:

I promise, you won't miss cable! We cut ours off several months ago and I feel like we're closer (and less stressed) because of it!

8:43 AM  

that's what i'm thinking too! i definitely feel less stressed when the tv's off, so i have a feeling my stress level will go WAAAAAAAY down.

10:57 AM  

hey there... nice to meet you! i read that you guys are giving up cable... we too did that ans i am thrilled beyond words to say that we are spending more time together, reading, red boxing, watching hulu. we do have an antenna and we do get some shows but i know i am not missing anything,, and you will see that too!
blessings
patricia

3:50 PM  

I'm totally on board with the no cable thing. Good for you!

Have you read Same Kind of Different As Me? It's one of my favorite recent reads.

I read all the time. It's my escape!

5:24 PM  

i haven't read it, but i hear it's really good!

7:59 AM  

Oh I would LOOOOVVVE to cut our cable off...but you know your brother as well as I. I think he would cut his right arm off first:)
But you know, that is a great thing about the winter...staying inside with hot chocolate and reading a good book. That sounds like heaven. Now, how to entertain the kiddos so we can do that:)

2:03 PM  

Oh I read Same Kind of Different As Me and it is wonderful, but be ready to cry your eyes out.

2:04 PM  

i'm bad and as soon as i put the kids down i hop on the couch and read until they wake up. i'd rather do chores with them awake.

5:02 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Pre-made blog template © 2011 Danielle Moss // Graphic Design & Photography.