A couple of you have asked how it was going now that we don't have cable, so I thought I'd fill you in. I love it!! Every now and then I have the desire to fall into the couch and watch something mindless, but I just grab my book and feel so much better because I did. I have never read so many books before and felt so good after reading something.
I also started back into Bible study and I'm really, really enjoying it as well. It's called Conversation Peace and it's so perfect for this time of my life. I've been finding myself so frustrated with the day to day and know that the kids and I are yelling at each other more than we should, but just didn't have that inner peace to help me change. Maybe I was being lazy or stubborn because I wanted to be right and for them to magically listen, but well, that's just stupid.
After just one week I find myself being happier and speaking to my children in a much happier tone and they are returning the favor as well. We still have our struggles, like Christopher giving one word commands because he thinks it's funny or Sophie just saying no because she doesn't care what you want or think, but I'm more patient about how I handle it. Funny because I find myself being more strict with them now too!
I think the best part of cutting cable is I don't have to listen to it when I go to bed. I hated turning it on, but sometimes it was just so easy to check out what silly show was on or how much a house costs in another country that I knew I'd never live in. So, I'm loving it. We listen to music more and the kids are playing even more than they did before and we are having more fun playing with them. A friend of mine wrote on her blog that we tend to think of our children as being in the way and that's not how we should see them or treat them. It really hit home with me because I knew some days that was how I felt. I truly enjoy them so much more now than I ever have before. I'm sure some of it has to do with the ages they are and that Sophie can play more every day, but I think it's because I'm not trying to look around them to see something stupid on television and I'm spending more time in the Word. It feels good!
Now, if you could only see what those two were up to while I was typing this. Sophie's bed has been moved to the middle of her room and Christopher found an old cookie dough scoop and used it to throw a plastic golf ball in the hall. Sophie would retrieve it and bring it back to him. Those two. Always up to something!

I am so glad that you are finding rest in the midst of the craziness. I am really trying to restructure my day also and let go of so many things that distract me from doing what I need to be doing most - nourishing my soul through God's Word. I am really glad that you are getting this time - I need SOOOOO much more of it myself!!! :)
Erin said...
10:24 PM
So happy it's going well! I, too, try to focus on appreciating our children, rather than seeing them as "in the way". I don't watch much TV, but I find myself working around them for other less-than-important tasks.
Keep it up!
starnes family said...
7:52 AM
I am with you Brittny. I asked JB last night: "How did we add TV to our day?" There just isn't time. We listen to music more and I read tons more. It's fantastic!
Wendi Kitsteiner said...
8:18 PM