Yesterday we were out for a family walk and decided to let Brick go without a leash just to see how he'd handle it. I had the leash and knew we'd only make it to the end of the street, but something caught his eye and he was off in a flash. You can only guess what it was... a squirrel. These little "rats" are everywhere here. The outside of base housing is concrete that is textured. It's ugly and a fabulous surface for squirrels to hold on to and run around your house.
When Brick took off across the street after this one squirrel, I followed with leash in hand. I left Brandon with the kids and they slowly went on their way, waiting for Brick and I to come out from around the house. We never did. See, I was too scared to go up to Brick and put the leash on him. I was afraid the squirrel would think my head was the perfect jumping pad for him to escape. They have no fear. We went back and forth along the back of the house, that thankfully is not occupied at the time.
Finally the squirrel found the only bush next to the house that he could jump into. Problem was, it was shorter than me. He goes for it and Brick flips out! He circles the bush and I'm backing up b/c I'm too afraid of what direction that "rat" will jump out and go in. Suddenly, it happens. The squirrel jumps out and runs towards the next house for escape, but Brick is too quick. It takes two leaps and he's won. I hear a horrible sound and take off after Brandon not sure whether to laugh, cry or be totally grossed out. I think screaming and grossed out won. He takes off to where I told him Brick was and I swear I see a grin across his fac. I just take the kids on the rest of their walk and pray the people aren't home who's backyard Brick is now in, with his reward, doing who knows what.
The kids and I get home and see no signs of Brandon or Brick. I look over and find Brandon and Rob (one of his residency buddies and our neighbor) near his trash can. The kids and I walk over to find out that Rob helped get rid of the evidence and then we spend the next 20 minutes watching Brick chase their dog Scuffy, who isn't much bigger than a squirrel, all over her backyard. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen. Christopher, Sophie and Della were all standing on top of their picnic table with us surrounding them laughing at the two dogs of completely different sizes chasing each other.
I think it was the most proud that Brandon has ever been of Brick. He's been trying to get him to catch a squirrel since we brought him home this summer. I had no feelings on the subject, partly b/c I hate squirrels, but I really didn't want to have to deal with what could potentially happen if he did catch one. I'm just glad they avoid are backyard and have enough trees in the front yard to get away.
Brick: 1
Squirrel: 0
HAHAHA! Beasley would be so proud of Brick!
The Howell's said...
4:44 PM
Our neighbor's cat catches moles and leaves them in our driveway as a little love note. I'm glad she's catching the moles but not so glad that she leaves them for us. I thought they were supposed to bring them to their owners but it seems that she has a little crush on Rich. Belle has caught Rich petting her before. I'm happy for Brick and for you because Brandon took care of the gross part!
The Scott family said...
4:50 PM
Ew. It just grosses me out no matter how big or small the animal. Meg kills birds and I just think that the same tongue that is gnawing the innards of a bird is then licking my face. Gross.
Lauren W said...
9:51 AM